Thursday, October 20, 2016

Outfit Obsessed

Outfit Obsessed

Do I cover up my insecurities by wearing clothes that I think will make me more socially acceptable?

What effect does my wardrobe style have on my wallet, and more importantly the environment?

Do I become too attached to certain pieces of clothing?

          These are some of the few questions I asked myself when I was on TED TALKS watching a video by Jessi Arrington. In her video, "Wearing Nothing New", Jessi starts off her speech by confessing to her outfit obsession. Arrington explains her concept of wearing nothing new by only buying recycled clothing. This will not only to minimize her impact on the environment but also  make shopping more of a treasure hunt and your style more unique to you.


Image result for jessi arrington


           Arrington loves to second hand shop because she is an adamant believer that you dont have to spend a lot of money to look good in what you wear. She has influenced me to thrift shop more than I already to be more confident about what i wear. By picking clothes that is second hand, not only am I helping my pocketbook, but also the environment benefits more if I buy recycled clothing.

          Jessi Arrington didnt pack anything to wear for her trip, all she took with her was 7 undies! This was to prove the point that she was more than confident that she would find everything that she needed to wear at local thrift and second hand stores. Arrington uses a slideshow to show her audience what she wore through out the week. With every different outfit that she wore came a different lesson that she learned and shared. This video relates back to my challenge of saving money for 30 days because my biggest expense is clothing.

          Arrington shares the lessons she learned,  and the one that stuck with me the most was "if you believe your a beautiful person inside and out, there is no look you cant rock." I admit that im self conscious and shy and sometimes lack confidence, but this this video has impacted me and my lifestyle choices. I want to be able to wake up one day and feel beautiful  as a person, not as a result of what Im wearing. This challenge is so much deeper than just saving money, it has made me realise that I use and excess of make up and clothes to feel better about myself. I should feel good and be confident about myself as a person everyday and that is something that I also need to work on.

Wear Nothing New - Jessi Arrington

No comments:

Post a Comment