What doesn't kill you makes you stronger right??
Well will be happy too hear that yesterday I went to the mall with my boyfriend and I did not buy a single thing! Not even a delicious Wetzels Pretzel!!!
Proud of me? Because I sure am!
As we walked around Cherry Creek Mall, I saw things I wanted everywhere "oh, look at that!" "ohhh, or that!" "ohhhh OR THAT!". I was actually pretty good at telling myself no and restraining from spending more than I had to. We went to the mall to get work boots for the auto shop he works in. As we walked passed Forever21 and Pacsun, I kept reminding myself that we are here to get him stuff, not me.
Later that evening, Aaron went to the bathroom for a second and left me waiting for him right by the escalator (which was coincidentally right in from of Pacsun!). As I stood there looking into the store, I started wondering why i have such a need to buy clothes? As I put more thought into it, I came to the conclusion that its because "its cool". Social media, celebrities, everyone thinks "its cool to dress cool". They endorse products and create fashion lines that are pricey and hard to keep up with for the middle class, and convince us that we need it because its the new fad. So whats so great about paying $60 for some jeans that already have holes in them? I didnt go into a single fashion store that day.
Two hours later, we have found the perfect shoes for him and are heading home. On the way home, i really reflect on my attitude and id like to think that I'm improving. Instead of thinking I need new clothes, now my mind is on more important things. Like getting my poor little car new tires before winter, now thats a priority. Groceries, education and my transportation are the only things I'm trying to focus on spending money on.
I was pretty proud of myself because regardless of all of the sales going on, and despite it being payday, I realized clothes isn't my biggest concern, I think I grew up a lot that day. When I got home, I read an article written by David Ning about the benefits of saving money at a young age and how it would affect your life as oppose to reckless spending, which inspired me to save even more.
Since yesterdays realization, I think i need to start putting more effort into not spending money. Although this challenge ends on 10/31, I'm going to try to keep saving until I can pay cash for my new tires. I'm learning the difference between necessities and wants, and id like to think I'm going a pretty darn good job. Lets see, whats going to keep me safe on the roads, new clothes or new tires? You do the math.
Benefits of Saving Money - David Ning
No comments:
Post a Comment